Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stephen Dimmick


I am very fortunate to live and work in fashion in NYC. It has afforded me the opportunity to meet the most talented, intelligent and lovely people who like myself have migrated here to pursue creativity and adventure. One such noteworthy individual is makeup artist Stephen Dimmick, originally from Brisbane, Australia. I worked with him awhile ago on an editorial and then reconnected with him recently via facebook. I asked him to answer a few brief questions (very brief, as I am no Barbara Walters.)

What or who inspires you?
Being surrounded by people who are passionate & LOVE what they do. Mystery, glamour, unattainability & perfection.

Brand of toothpaste?
Listerine is what's important to me. It's all about fresh breath!!!!!

Pet Peeve(s)
Ignorance, including my own.

Favorite Artist
Jim Hodges

Cause:
ASPCA

Dream Collaboration: Living or Deceased
There are WAY too many but to name a few, Craig McDean, David Sims, Mark Segal. I have no desire to collaborate with a dead person, seems pointless.
(editor's note: I just realized the absurdity of my question-I wouldn't want to put clothes on a a dead person, though someone has to I guess...)

Vacation Spot:
My house in upstate N.Y with my partner, Jonathan and our 2 miniature Schnauzers, Max & Lucy.

Favorite color:
Chartreuse & Fuschia

Favorite Film:
I can't give you just 1. The Women (1939 version), The Wizard of Oz, Up, Wall E., Portfolio, All This and Heaven Too, The Rose. Ask me tomorrow & it'll be a different list.

Unusual talent:
Drafting floor plans/ architecture

What decades would you love to travel back to?
The 1930's & the 1950's purely for the unattainable ideology of those decades.

Do you have a fur kid? How old? Funny story?
Max & Lucy 2 female miniature Schnauzers (Max is not short for Maxine, just Max). Max is 5 1/2 years and Lucy is 5. I couldn't tell you a funny story about them because it's personality traits that you see everyday that are scrumptious and funny..

Here are some images from Stephen's makeup portfolio via www.lateliernyc.com:


(Above-my favorite story of Stephen's, from Numero Japan, photographed by Chad Pittman.)

Flair (Italy) photographed By Chad Pittman.

Time Style and Design photographed by Chad Pittman.

I love Stephen's daring use of color and shading. There aren't many who will (or can) go there and create such strong images that make the story a memorable one.
Cheers, Stephen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...