Monday, September 7, 2009

Rebecca the Athlete



Last weekend I flew to San Diego then drove (well Sarah drove, I hate driving) to Manhattan Beach, California, to greet my lifeguard sister Rebecca as she paddled up to us at the shore. She was competing in the annual paddling race from Catalina Island to the beach. We are talking paddling on your stomach and using just your arms for 32 miles straight. 32 miles. She was the fastest woman in the race of 106 competitors with a finishing time of 6 hours and 31 minutes. It was great because she had no idea that I was coming, let alone be in California. She also wasn't expecting my brother, my other sister and my dad to all witness her triumph.

SURPRISE!!

Many many families were there doing the same thing, applauding their relatives and friends. It was a perfect sunny day and there were some cute little Hawaiian girl dancers performing as the paddlers one by one made their way up the sand to receive their leis and hugs.

The family...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...