Saturday, January 17, 2009

Rachel Williams

When I was about thirteen years old I was sitting in a booth with my family at a great little 50's diner in Southern California. To my very big surprise, Rachel Williams walked by my booth, heading to the restroom at the back. I was so excited. I told my mom "That was Rachel Williams who just walked by!" By the time she had to pass by my booth again I had worked up the nerve to ask her for her autograph. She looked at me with great surprise, I have to say. I had her sign my food receipt with one of those crayons that are left on the table for kids to color their menus with. I still have the receipt actually.
(I later worked at that same cafe in high school, but was subsequently fired after I told my boss that I was accepted at college in NYC. I didn't mind too much-I had just gotten accepted into college!....)
I started reading Elle magazine in the mide 80's and Rachel was a regular in the magazine, starting in 1988. I loved her amazonian looks-she was (and still is) extremely tall with feminine curves but with a very strong physique and a gorgeous face. I was a swimmer at that point so I really gravitated towards those Gilles Bensimon shoots, especially when she was photographed in the water and tan and wearing speedo goggles. I miss the amazon models of the late 80s. Gabrielle Reece was also of that ilk at that time. I think the closest thing that we have now in fashion to those Amazon ladies are Lara Stone and Guinevere.





Photos by Gilles Bensimon, c/o thefashionspot.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...